Changing to Maiden Name During a Divorce in Georgia

Today I wanted to take a moment to answer a question I’ve been getting a lot lately: “Can I change my last name during my divorce case in Georgia?” The answer is yes, changing to your maiden name during a divorce is absolutely an option. You just need to follow a few steps to make that happen.

Should I Change My Name During a Divorce?

Some women opt to change to their maiden name during or after a divorce, and some keep their married name. It is all up to personal preference. Sometimes, if there are children involved, a client will keep her married name, so it is the same as her children’s.

If you decide to revert to your maiden name, you should alert your attorney of your decision as soon as you can. That way, he or she can include the proper language in the complaint for divorce. The name change will take effect at the time the divorce decree is filed.

Changing Back to Your Maiden Name

You will need a copy of the Final Judgment and Decree in order to change your name with the Social Security Administration, the Department of Driver Services, your bank, credit cards, etc. You will need to request a copy of the document from the Clerk of Superior Court in the county in which your divorce was granted.

Divorce Attorneys in Southeast Georgia

We understand the emotional toll that can come with the divorce process. If you are considering divorcing your spouse and have questions, we are here to help. Schedule a consultation with us today to learn more about the divorce process and what your options are.